Insights Newsletter June 2022
Today marks our semi-anniversary with this issue being our sixth month’s edition of this newsletter. Thank you for your readership and we want to remind everyone that past editions of this newsletter and all Insights Presentations recordings can be found on our Insights page.
I am writing this introduction from a hotel in Jakarta. We are here to (finally) deliver VideoRay Defender training to the Indonesian Navy, who purchased three systems last Autumn, but due to Covid 19 the training has been delayed until now. While travel and other activities are getting back to normal, it’s evident that some changes are likely to linger or become permanent ways of life. While Covid did set back our ability to associate with people directly, VideoRay and our partners have steadfastly continued advancing our technological innovations. VideoRay introduced virtual training lessons on the initial shutdown and has recently completed successful dives with the Defender to over 1,000 m (3,200 ft) from a small boat without any special deployment mechanisms – truly a first for the industry. And as reported here recently, both Greensea and EIVA are also pushing the envelope with new and updated releases of their control software for our systems. Nothing can stop us…
Virtual VideoRay Insights Presentation Series
(Live on the Third Thursday of each month)
June 16, 2022
Optimizing Your Sonar Image Quality
10am – 10:30am EDT
Tom Glebas, VideoRay
Sonar image quality varies significantly depending on many factors. This presentation will discuss how sonar works and the settings available and then describe how to adjust those settings to enhance your images as much as possible. Other tips for using sonar in certain scenarios will also be provided.
Mission Specialist Maintenance
10am – 10:30am EDT
Arely Hernandez, VideoRay
This presentation will begin by reviewing the periodic maintenance requirements of VideoRay’s Mission Specialist systems and then discuss many of the field operations maintenance procedures that can be performed by most operators. Discussions about field maintenance tips and best practices will also be included.
Future Insights Presentation Events
Events are scheduled the third Thursday of every month. Registration opens the first Tuesday of the month.
July 21, 2022
Tunnel Vision during Underwater ROV Inspections
Tunnel inspections are one of the more challenging types of underwater survey, and for several reasons: the length and shape of the tunnel, murky water, and zero visibility. Each factor presents a unique challenge to the ROV, which often puts demands and restrictions on the hardware and software. In response to this, ROV operators are turning to customizable setups with NaviSuite Mobula Pro + Processing (VideoRay), a versatile software to overcome these difficult conditions.
Presenter: Kevin Tomanka, EIVA
It’s All about the Data – Recording, Integration and Deliverables
Many ROV projects depend on data from other sources, for example, a list of target coordinates, or the goal is to collect data and create reports. This presentation will discuss the data collection related features and capabilities of Mission Specialist systems and present some auxiliary tools that make repetitive data collection and reporting tasks easier.
Presenter: Tom Glebas, VideoRay
August 18, 2022
NDT (Non-Destructive Testing) Methods Primer
Non-destructive testing has been around for decades and has been used by divers and ROVs for underwater inspections. This primer will provide information about the features and capabilities of various systems including Ultrasonic Thickness Gauges, CP Probes and multi-sensor Sondes. Does your next project involve NDT?
What's Cooking in the Library?
The VideoRay Educational Resources Library https://download.videoray.com/documentation/library/html/index.html is the starting point for access to all of VideoRay’s published technical resources and even some unfinished drafts in the aptly named “Wet Paint” section. The Library contains the following collections:
- Operator’s Manuals and Tech Notes
- Software Downloads
- Accessory Product Documentation
- Operational Tactics and Tips
- Troubleshooting Guides
- Maintenance and Repair Manuals
- Parts Identification and Parts Data
- Training Opportunities
And, you don’t even need a library card!
Operator Tip of the Month – Lessons from the field
“Loose Lips, Sink Ships,” and an Open Port Can Lead to a Short.
Technician Tip of the Month – Lessons from the shop
To upgrade, or not to upgrade? That is the question.
FAQ of the Month – Be “in the know”
Q: What size generator or inverter is required for remote operations of VideoRay systems?
A: For Mission Specialists systems, we recommend a 3-kW generator or inverter. For Pro 4s, we recommend a 1-kW generator or inverter. Some generators may be specified based on the surge power rating. Make sure your generator is rated to these specifications for continuous, not just surge, output.
Survey Question of the Month – Be counted
What’s the weirdest or strangest place you have used your VideoRay?
Product of the Month – Be informed
Mission Specialist Spare Modules Kit
This kit provides a complete set of programmed and ready to install modules for the Defender and is a perfect complement to have on hand especially when working on critical jobs that can’t afford down-time, or when working remotely. Individual modules can also be purchased separately if desired.
Quote of the Month – Be amused
“Don’t wait for Plan A to fail before starting to think about Plan B.”
Submit a quote and get a free t-shirt!
Photo of the Month – Be inspired
Photo by Tom Glebas, VideoRay
Email us a caption for this photo or your own VideoRay related photo – for a chance to win a VideoRay T-shirt!*
Last month’s photo caption winner
“I think that coil is a bit too tight.” –Anonymous
Photo by Tom Glebas, VideoRay
In-person classes are being offered in Key Largo, FL and at VideoRay’s San Diego, CA office.
On-site classes are also available.
Live virtual classes are now being offered… anywhere you want.
Self-paced virtual training lessons can be found in VideoRay’s Training Library any time you want. Virtual Training Library
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 610-458-3000 and ask to speak to the Training Administrator for more information about in-person classes.
- Mission Specialist Basic Operator, San Diego, CA, June 27-30, 2022
- Pro 4 Basic Operator, San Diego, CA, July 26-27, with additional Sonar Day, July 28, 2022
- Mission Specialist Basic Operator, San Diego, CA, August 22-25, 2022
- Pro 4 Basic Operator, Key Largo, FL, September 13-14, with additional Sonar Day, September 15, 2022
- Mission Specialist Basic Operator, San Diego, CA, September 26-29, 2022
- Pro 4 Advanced Maintenance, Pottstown, PA, October 6-7, 2022
- Tether Termination, Pottstown, PA, October 10, 2022
- Mission Specialist Advanced Maintenance, Pottstown, PA, October 11-13, 2022
- Pro 5 Basic Operator, Key Largo, FL, October 18-20, 2022
- Pro 4 Basic Operator, San Diego, CA, October 25-26, with additional Sonar Day, October 27, 2022
- Mission Specialist Basic Operator, San Diego, November 14-17, 2022
- Pro 4 Basic Operator, Key Largo, FL, November 15-16, with additional Sonar Day, November 17, 2022
Meet VideoRay at these Upcoming Events
- HYDROVISION International, July 12-14, 2022, Denver, CO, Booth 1040
- DEMA Show 2022, Nov 1-4, 2022, Orlando, FL
iROv Underwater Services – Treviso, Italy https://www.irov.it
iRov Underwater Services is an Italian independent highly specialized company, providing underwater technology and ROV assistance to Salvage Operations, Offshore Survey, Construction, Drilling and Decommissioning Activities. iRov provides sales and service for VideoRay ROV systems and accessories.
* – Each month, one submission in each category will be selected and the submitter will receive a VideoRay T-shirt. Please include your T-shirt size with your submission to expedite its delivery. Use the respective links above to enter your submission. VideoRay reserves the right to select its own submission. Submitters agree that they have rights to the content they submit and to allow VideoRay unlimited rights to use and publish and their submission(s).